Opinions from those that have broken a collar bone

All non racing related discussion

Opinions from those that have broken a collar bone

Postby tuscani451 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:28 am

As some of you know I really did fuck up at the last round (I dont remember the incident) but managed to wreck pretty good, my deepest apologies to the other rider involved :oops: Now I have a broken collar bone and I'm trying to figure out what to do. When i saw a orthopedic surgeon who is a family friend he gave two options: 1 let it heal on it's own, 2 Have surgery to place a plate so the bone heals straight and true. He did not say that he thought one was a better option then the other. The surgery has a 1/3 chance that I will need a second surgery to remove the plate. I really dont want to go through surgery, in my work i see people with nasty post-op infections every day. So I told the MD I'd just let it heal on its own. It's been 2 weeks and I feel much better, so much so that I plan on racing next month if I can work out the logistics. Here is my concern, last night I was talking with some Major league baseball players (dont ask, it was once in a lifetime meeting) and they all told me to have the surgery as I will always have problems with the should/arm and I will never be as strong or able to gain strength if I dont. I work out every day and I am a bit of a gym rat, I hate being out of commission but if I need to have the surgery I want to get it done ASAP. So i'm looking for opinions from you lot. I figure people here have lots of experience with this type of injury and could offer insight as to strength and rehab after breaking the collar bone and surgery VS self healing. Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks to everyone for being so cool after my off, :oops: :oops: :oops: I still have to have a MRI done on my knee but I dont think that'll show anything major.
ASMA#451, Low and Slow
tuscani451
Crew Chief

Re: Opinions from those that have broken a collar bone

Postby JB_ASMA_29 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:36 pm

I had a friend that suffered a nasty dirt bike accident, he had a plate put in his.. continued dirt bike riding and re broke it. then had surgery to remove the plate/screws and let it heal naturally because he knew it was going to continue breaking.
I spend all my free time thinking about the sh!t I'm suppose to be doing
JB_ASMA_29
Pit Crew

Postby Lucky13 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Leif,
I was never offered the surgery but it did heal on it's own.
I did wear the halter for a time and a sling. The halter rubbed right next to where the break was so I ditched it.
Now, there's a bit of protrusion at the break but I don't have any problems with it.
Good luck with your healing.
4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul.
Lucky13
Flaming Junk Inspector

Postby Jeremy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:28 pm

It's awesome you want to man up and ride already.....BUT you really should wait at least 6 weeks or so. They really don't heal all the way in 4 weeks....don't take 5-6 months but at least 6 weeks.

I've never broke one but have been around a few dudes that have. 90% of the ones I've seen broken don't get surgery. If you can give it a little more time you should heal good without surgery.
Jeremy
Crew Chief

Postby EP_Shane_600 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Having broken mine 2 times on the same side. I speak from experience....
I have full range of motion in that arm and have no real hangups with the knots that stick up from not having surgery. unless it is really really broken up just use the braces and let it heal naturally.
EP_Shane_600
Racer

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Natural is the way to go unless it's really screwed up.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby findgold » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Roger@Arroyo wrote:Natural is the way to go unless it's really screwed up.

Crashed and broke mine in 1990 at Pocono, did the sling thing, have the not quite lined up bumps on the bone, but have not had any problems from that injury..
I feel that the less time you spend with doctors the better..
Dirt is for worms - Asphalt is for Racing
And almost anyone can go fast with too MUCH Horsepower!
findgold
Racer

Postby speedracer170 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Leif everyone I have know to break one did the natural way and don't really have any issues. Don't push it and try to race in may and give yourself a few extra weeks to heal up, your not riding for a big dollar contract or championship and it would really suck to have another mishap before it heals right and have to wait even longer for it to heal.
Cody
09 GSXR 600
AM 825
speedracer170
Racer

Postby findgold » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:02 am

speedracer170 wrote:Leif everyone I have know to break one did the natural way and don't really have any issues. Don't push it and try to race in may and give yourself a few extra weeks to heal up, your not riding for a big dollar contract or championship and it would really suck to have another mishap before it heals right and have to wait even longer for it to heal.

What he says.
Dirt is for worms - Asphalt is for Racing
And almost anyone can go fast with too MUCH Horsepower!
findgold
Racer

Postby blendedfamily » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 am

Even though Cody is dumber than a bag of rocks, hes got a good point. Rest, eat well, get some form of exercise that doesn't jar your shoulder around, and give it some time. If the doc said surgery is an option, leave it amp option. If you're young and otherwise healthy you should heal well so long as you take care of yourself. We commonly discharge clavicle fractures home with no need for close follow up.
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby tuscani451 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 am

speedracer170 wrote:Leif everyone I have know to break one did the natural way and don't really have any issues. Don't push it and try to race in may and give yourself a few extra weeks to heal up, your not riding for a big dollar contract or championship and it would really suck to have another mishap before it heals right and have to wait even longer for it to heal.

Psh IDK what your talking about, I expect to be in Motogp next year :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the good advice everyone, I will let it heal naturally and try and get back to it when I can, now I'm gonna go to the garage and make motorcycle sounds brrrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ASMA#451, Low and Slow
tuscani451
Crew Chief

Postby blendedfamily » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 am

You can always hang out, drink beer and pit bitch...
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby JB_ASMA_29 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am

blendedfamily wrote:You can always hang out, drink beer and pit bitch...

you've suffered multiple vaginal fractures and you still raced hours afterwords.. which from the bone breaking sounds roger described that happened when he put his in yours...., you should have been hospitalized
I spend all my free time thinking about the sh!t I'm suppose to be doing
JB_ASMA_29
Pit Crew

Postby dscak1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:43 am

I'm new here, and I'm just an old guy currently living in Alaska, retiring and moving south this summer, but as far as broken collar bones, my experience is somewhat different. I broke mine in August 2008. Decided to do as everyone has suggested, let it heal naturally. Seven weeks later it was diagnoised as a non-union break meaning it would not heal, so surgery was the only option. It was subsequently plated, but not until after the bone ends had damaged the nerve bundle behind the bone. All is well now, nerves have regenerated (for the most part) still have the plate, and it does cause some issues, especially shooting rifles. In my case I wish I had plated it the next week after the break.
dscak1
Wheel Changer

Postby duggram » Thu May 03, 2012 9:23 am

dscak1, your story sounds familiar. I moved here from Alaska a few years ago, started riding at Arroyo and broke my collar bone. On the clavicle the ER doc asked me if I could raise my arm over my head. I did and then he asked if I had pain. I said no and he declared that surgery would not be required. I still have a nonunion, 3 years later.

I hope you do as well as I did moving to New Mexico. I met the nicest Hispanic woman and we got married 3 years ago (my Arroyo accident is the last time she's been to a track). Now I'm situated right for retirement and living better than ever.

BTW, tuscani451, best of luck to you.
duggram
Wheel Changer

Postby dscak1 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm

duggram, thanks, after this last winter, setting snow records and wife's arthritis, looking forward to coming south. Plating worked for me, but may not be the best option unless there is a reason (ie, non-union break).
dscak1
Wheel Changer

Postby Chuxter » Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 am

I broke my collar bone during a school yard football game (pre-teen). It was a compound fracture where the bone was snapped like a stick over the knee. I was given a brace, which kept my shoulders pulled back, plus a sling to relieve the effects of gravity on the injury. I did not have surgery and the collar bone healed naturally, although it has a curve to it. It is now thicker than my other collar bone and I never had any issues with it. I went on to play football in high school and college without the slightest issue.

I agree that you should probably let time help heal it, especially if going under the knife is not absolutely necessary.
Chuxter
Spectator

Return to Non Race Related