New job, New bike, same old body

All non racing related discussion

New job, New bike, same old body

Postby duggram » Sun May 06, 2012 5:22 am

For the last year and a half I've been commuting to the east coast for work. Traveling from Albuquerque Sunday and getting home midnight Friday limited what I could do on my time. I finally pissed someone off enough so that the client didn't renew my contract. My new assignment is in Las Vegas. I'm thinking travel Monday morning, home late afternoon Friday. Which means I can start making trips to Arroyo again. I doubt that I will ever race again and will just stick to trackdays (there are some things that MO is right about!).

Last Thanksgiving I aggravated an old back injury which has left my right leg a little weaker. I sold my heavy street bike and listed my race parts in the BadWeb classifieds and put a link to it in the classifieds here. I'll sell the Buell once I get it back together in street trim. But now I need a real light weight bike.

The new bike is more suited to Sandia. I'm building one of those super singles that was hyped up a few years ago. I'll pick up my new WR450 this week. I traded my old WR450 mainly because the new ones have fuel injection, and still have electric start. I have an extra 1125 front end with mag wheel. As soon as I get the new bike home the triple tree gets sent to GPTech for a new stem. Ohlins supplies the shock and I believe Traxxion Dynamics will setup the Buell forks for a lighter bike. GPTech already has the setbacks and rear wheel. I think the best looking bodywork is from Catalyst, but the TZ250 doesn't look bad either.

I know people will say it's foolish to waste money on a project like this, but I'm 62 now and thinking about what kind of bike I'll want to track ride in the future. At least it will be a good excuse to start returning to Arroyo again.
duggram
Wheel Changer

Re: New job, New bike, same old body

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:05 pm

I think it'll be fun to ride. I am curious on the durability though, I guess we'll see.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby JB_ASMA_29 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:36 pm

It will be good to see you out there again dug!
I spend all my free time thinking about the sh!t I'm suppose to be doing
JB_ASMA_29
Pit Crew

Postby dscak1 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm in that club of getting older and finding out my body just isn't keeping up anymore. Everyone keeps telling me 60 is the new 40, but every morning when I get up it sure hurts alot more than it did when I was 40! In addition to the plated collar bone, I also had a total knee replacement on the right knee. At least TSA loves me (I think they do anyway, why else would they want to search me everytime I fly? I always tell them about the steel and titanium knee?). Anyway, moving down this summer and plan on trying to make it over in the fall.
dscak1
Wheel Changer

Postby findgold » Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 pm

duggram wrote:For the last year and a half I've been commuting to the east coast for work. Traveling from Albuquerque Sunday and getting home midnight Friday limited what I could do on my time. I finally pissed someone off enough so that the client didn't renew my contract. My new assignment is in Las Vegas. I'm thinking travel Monday morning, home late afternoon Friday. Which means I can start making trips to Arroyo again. I doubt that I will ever race again and will just stick to trackdays (there are some things that MO is right about!).

Last Thanksgiving I aggravated an old back injury which has left my right leg a little weaker. I sold my heavy street bike and listed my race parts in the BadWeb classifieds and put a link to it in the classifieds here. I'll sell the Buell once I get it back together in street trim. But now I need a real light weight bike.

The new bike is more suited to Sandia. I'm building one of those super singles that was hyped up a few years ago. I'll pick up my new WR450 this week. I traded my old WR450 mainly because the new ones have fuel injection, and still have electric start. I have an extra 1125 front end with mag wheel. As soon as I get the new bike home the triple tree gets sent to GPTech for a new stem. Ohlins supplies the shock and I believe Traxxion Dynamics will setup the Buell forks for a lighter bike. GPTech already has the setbacks and rear wheel. I think the best looking bodywork is from Catalyst, but the TZ250 doesn't look bad either.

I know people will say it's foolish to waste money on a project like this, but I'm 62 now and thinking about what kind of bike I'll want to track ride in the future. At least it will be a good excuse to start returning to Arroyo again.

Doug, Sandia has started a new 250 Ninja class this year..And it sure would be nice to have one down at Arroyo.Ninjette class that is. the Ninjettes are light and very easy to ride..So easy that I myself did a couple of trackday weekends of over 400 miles..But then I am older then dirt and twice as dusty. and the cost of racing one is so low that I could afford to enter as many as 6 races and get a nice 2nd place overall am. points trophy last year..and the Ninjette was BOX stock for most of the year.. :alien:
Dirt is for worms - Asphalt is for Racing
And almost anyone can go fast with too MUCH Horsepower!
findgold
Racer

Postby duggram » Tue May 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Finegold,

Sounds like you've been having fun. I pickup my 450 tomorrow morning. So I won't be riding in your class. In fact I'm not sure that I will be racing. I look forward to riding Sandia trackdays. I'll just be glad to be back on a track. But what I'm looking forward to most is making it back to Arroyo. i hope to have my bike ready to ride in 3 months, so you will see me again.
duggram
Wheel Changer

Postby findgold » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm

duggram wrote:Finegold,

Sounds like you've been having fun. I pickup my 450 tomorrow morning. So I won't be riding in your class. In fact I'm not sure that I will be racing. I look forward to riding Sandia trackdays. I'll just be glad to be back on a track. But what I'm looking forward to most is making it back to Arroyo. i hope to have my bike ready to ride in 3 months, so you will see me again.

The 250 ninja runs in the same class's as the 450's etc. at both tracks.
except at sandia which started a 250 spec. class.
They had 6 of us strart and finish the first race of the season last month.. and should have 8 or more for this months race..
.Sure wish Arroyo had a few 250's to make a class,
I think that Arroyo would be almost perfect for 250 spec. races.
Dirt is for worms - Asphalt is for Racing
And almost anyone can go fast with too MUCH Horsepower!
findgold
Racer

Return to Non Race Related