Heat Shield for belly pan

We check in and answer it here

Heat Shield for belly pan

Postby mr_gixxxer1k » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Anybody have extra heat shield for a belly pan? I tried wrapping the exhaust but the wrap started smoking and i read wrapping TI pipes will screw them up and wrapping stock pipes will cause them to rust. So any other ideas to keep my belly pan from melting? I will buy any extra material u have thanks. :alien:
#63 Perk
mr_gixxxer1k
Racer

Re: Heat Shield for belly pan

Postby blendedfamily » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Talk to Mickey -- he's got some heat reflective tape that I think worked pretty well.
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby mr_gixxxer1k » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 pm

cool thanks
#63 Perk
mr_gixxxer1k
Racer

Postby chefboyartie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 pm

The stock pipes on my r1 are wrapped from the midpipe to the cans (stock cans are ti) and i've had no problems what so ever. There is residue left on the cans from the wrap but I have no intentions of taking the wrap off. I'm sure water and elbow grease will remove the residue but I have not tried this. The smoke is normal from the wrap being brand new. It will stop after a while and only smoke after a wash. My guess on the rust would be that people washed the bike and did not start the bike and get it up to operating temp to dry the wrap because the wrap will hold water.
chefboyartie
STFU, Art!

Postby JazMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:36 am

My TI system is wrapped from the motor to the can and I have not a single issue in the last 2 years !! It smoked the first few times but that was all.
Rossi dreams with PeeWee Herman skills !!!
JazMan
Crew Chief

Postby Thunderdawg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 am

I wrapped mine and have had no issues. I am not clear on the reflective tape Tony is talking about other than some reflective duct tape that I have used to seal up a crack on a carbon fiber can. I have since replaced the can.
Thunderdawg
Pit Crew

Postby mr_gixxxer1k » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I wrapped the headers from the top to the bottom and it started to smoke but if guys say its cool then i will keep wrapping the rest of it tonite thanks for the input.
#63 Perk
mr_gixxxer1k
Racer

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Mine are wrapped as well and no issues since it was wrapped in 07, except it's looking like I should put some new wrap on it.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Return to Ask Arroyo Seco Management