SV Suspension Set Up

For everything related to the ASMA Championship Series.

SV Suspension Set Up

Postby e093333 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Do any of you have a baseline shock length recommendation for the SVs? I currently have mine at 345mm eye to eye. I weigh 220 without gear and the bike seems to squat in the rear with my big-arse sitting on it. Thanks for your help.
Chris Ruot
e093333
Wheel Changer

Re: SV Suspension Set Up

Postby mesches » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Stock shock?
mesches
Crew Chief

Postby kneadraggr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I think I have mine set to about 350mm right now. Not real sure this last weekend I was adjusting it and have not checked where it is now.
What? sorry, I was ignoring you.
kneadraggr
Spectator

Postby Lucky13 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:47 am

1st or 2nd gen?
Shock length affect your rear ride height and steering geometry.
Shock length has nothing to do with the amount of squat (also know as sag). Spring weight and preload is what adjusts sag.
The measurement will take a couple friends' help. Measure the distance from the rear axle, straight up to a fixed point with the shock fully extended (this will take friends to pull up on the subframe). Then you do the same measurement with you on the bike. Subtract that measurement from the first and that's your sag setting.
On my 1st gen, I have 32mm.
One thing to bear in mind: when you increase preload to adjust sag, this affects your compression and rebound damping (slows down, speeds up respectively).
4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul.
Lucky13
Flaming Junk Inspector

Postby kneadraggr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 am

*** Warning *** this is just "my" take, and YMMV !

My shock is set at 350mm, 450 lb spring, my weight 170lbs, and I think I still need more height.

Shock Length will effect the swing arm angle. If you do not have enough angle when you get on the gas the chain can pull the swing arm up, and cause squat. Where as with more angle you can get an Anti squat effect from shock length. Now Greg is right that spring rate does also play into squat. So you need a spring that will give you about 25-32mm of sag with about 13-18mm of preload. Then you will have to find a ride height that walks a thin line between anti squat, good transition from side to side, and high speed stability. If you bike won't finish a turn with out running wide you need more ride height/spring. If the front pushes entering turns, or it wants to tank slap on the gas you need less ride height in the rear or more in the front.

So 1st get the right spring, then you can adjust from there. With the wrong spring you will never be happy.
What? sorry, I was ignoring you.
kneadraggr
Spectator

Postby e093333 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for the input guys. This is Chris on the black SV (#171). I'm running a 2nd gen with an Ohlins shock. The bike seems to run wide when finishing a turn and when I look at race pics it is alway squatting in the rear. I'll check my sag again per your recommendations and test it out during our next race weekend; assuming there isnt a rain, sleet, snow, or dust storm!!!

Thanks again. It's a blast racing with you guys. Sorry I dont recognize you by your forum id. Who is kneadraggr and mesches?
Chris Ruot
e093333
Wheel Changer

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Chris, remember, sag is just a starting point, not the ending point. If it's running wide you can add some rear preload.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby Lucky13 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:03 am

Chris,
Originally I thought you meant sag while sitting on the bike. Squat is the term as kneedraggr described (don't know who that is either).
Ben Mesches (aka robof**) is the other poster who also races an SV.
Roger is absolutely correct. Setup numbers are just a starting point.
The fine tuning is done by the precision sensor located between the clip-ons.
You may need a stiffer spring on the shock but try some adjustments first. Get ahold of me next track day and I'll help.
4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul.
Lucky13
Flaming Junk Inspector

Postby kz2zx » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:23 am

Kneadraggr is from abq. Rides a SV...
ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx
ASMA Racer

Return to ASMA Championship Series