Getting to know the Racers (IDEA!?)

For everything related to the ASMA Championship Series.

Getting to know the Racers (IDEA!?)

Postby ZF67 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Please note that I am just throwing this out there to see if you guys might think this is a cool idea;

So a couple years ago when I used to be very involved in SCCA Solo Racing (AKA AutoCross) there was a really cool thing they did, where they would interview a racer, ask him/her a few questions about where/when/hobbies/family life/ bla bla bla. And it was totally voluntary if you didn’t want to be the “racer of the month” all you had to say was ‘no thanks’ and everything cool, but if you wanted to they would grab a couple pics of you and write up a little article about you with the answers you gave and made a little “meet the racers” section on the web page/forum so everybody was able to learn a little about some of the racers and it REALLY HELPED get new blood out because they felt like they could already kind of have some friends at the track. So once a month the author would find a random racer (it was NOT always the fastest, it was more or less just the regulars) and would post it up every month and it was kinda cool, because it created an archive and you could look back. I am totally down to start this off and whenever I retire hand it off to somebody else who wants to keep it going, this is just for fun and getting to know your fellow racers, here is the “racer profile” that was created for me when I was driver of the month when I was racing auto cross-

http://www.azsolo.com/pylon_press/pp201 ... rofile.htm
ZACK FOULK My Cheetah is dangerously cheeeesy
ZF67
Rainbow Warrior

Re: Getting to know the Racers (IDEA!?)

Postby blendedfamily » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm

If I can remember, I think ASMA did this at one point in time... I think it's a pretty cool idea too
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby Lucky13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:31 am

Tony's right, the main ASMA racing site used to have a racer profile tab.
4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul.
Lucky13
Flaming Junk Inspector

Postby Thomas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 am

That's correct. We had a racer profile page back in the day. I remember filling it out a long time ago. I liked the idea then and now. We just need to get Roger and Dave to bring it back.
Ride, Race, Live.
ASMA #45
2002 HayaBusa (aka "Bus"), 2006 GSXR-1000 (aka "Little Bus"), 2000 Kawi Ninja 250 (aka "Baby Bus")
Sponsors: RPM Motorcycle, Kustom Works, Lockhart Phillips USA
Thomas
ASMA Racer

Postby kz2zx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:42 am

The HTML pages on the site belong to the boss, not me...

I make this spiffy board hum.
ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx
ASMA Racer

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah, we used to have a profile page on most of our racers, and we did the interview thing separately too. Really should start that again. I'll see if I can get that part of the site back up and running, most of it is still online, just no links going to it anymore.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby findgold » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 am

Roger@Arroyo wrote:Yeah, we used to have a profile page on most of our racers, and we did the interview thing separately too. Really should start that again. I'll see if I can get that part of the site back up and running, most of it is still online, just no links going to it anymore.

Yes I remember seeing that a L O N G time ago. And thought it was great..So I hope you get it going again.. and maybe even include the repeat track dayers also. In some way :mrgreen:
Dirt is for worms - Asphalt is for Racing
And almost anyone can go fast with too MUCH Horsepower!
findgold
Racer

Postby blendedfamily » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:12 am

Can we maybe make a simple online form for info?
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby blendedfamily » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 am

Can we maybe make a simple online form for info?
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I already have an online info page in my archives Tony, we can use that for the standard profile forms.

Zach, take it and run with it and I'll make a spot on the website for it. Start with whomever you want.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby mesches » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:36 pm

mesches
Crew Chief

Postby ZF67 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 pm

awesome thx rog, this will be fun :) (after the interview/questions i will email you the finished product roger then you can do what you need to post it where u want)
ZACK FOULK My Cheetah is dangerously cheeeesy
ZF67
Rainbow Warrior

Postby mr_gixxxer1k » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 pm

cool idea im down
#63 Perk
mr_gixxxer1k
Racer

Postby hennemanamemamem » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 pm

i like this idea!!!!!
hennemanamemamem
Wheel Changer

Postby Melime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Awesome idea!!! Though some on the pit crews, corner workers, and photographers would be cool too (hint hint) lol!!! :wink: This could actually help me put a name and maybe a face with the bikes. :)
Melime Photography

Pit Crew for #825
Melime
Pit Crew

Postby R-silaxin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 am

Seems like an awesome idea! I will say, as a quite recent newcomer, it's quite an intimidating atmosphere. Really the only reason I even know a few is because I ALWAYS need a ride to get out there... Which is not to say that anyone is un-approachable. It just seems, for a new guy at the track, that the assumption is "everyone is too busy", or even "why would these guys help me out"... I'm obviously very new to this, and really quite outgoing. Yet, at the track, I keep to myself because I don't want to be a bother. When really, I'd love for someone to coach me, show me some lines, give me some pointers with the bike, and on how I'm riding it out on the track... This seems like a good idea though. One thing I also noticed is how inactive the forum itself is... Which again, is nobody's fault... It just seems if there was more talk, more chatter, and it seemed more inviting there would be more newcomers, and in turn, more regulars.

As for me, I'll be coming as often as I can next season, and look forward to meeting more and more people. I just hate being a burden on anyone. Everyone goes to the track to ride... Not necessarily slow their pace and tow some rook. At least that's my assumption. I will be more outgoing on my part from now on, but I'd also welcome anyone to come chat, give me pointers, or offer up some coaching... I've been riding for a few years, but the track is a whole different ball game. So I'd love some help along the way... "I wanna go fast" like you'z guys! haha If you guys see me around, by all means, introduce yourself. I'm hard to miss, with red hair and a bright orange/black R6... Name's Adam. Some may also know me from my highside in the bus stop... haha All part of the territory, I know...

I'll be out there this weekend hopefully! Hopefully securing a ride tomorrow... This idea seems like a good step in the right direction! I know guys over on my regular forum, even guys from the surrounding states that ride know nothing about Arroyo... But I spread the word, and may have a few come out from AZ and NM from time to time. I for one love Arroyo and the environment! Hope to make some life long friends and all that Jazz...

Also, to those who helped me get the bike back together after my highside and get me back out there, THANKS! Tony and Roger and a few others really helped me out, and I enjoyed the rest of my day! Later I found out I had fractured my heel and hyper-extended my knee... But that's all part of the fun... Right? haha

See you guys out there! :occasion5:
R-silaxin
Pit Crew

Postby kz2zx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Over the years, we've made it the atmosphere and culture to make sure everyone's welcome, everyone you meet is welcoming, and that we are inclusive of everyone - it's in our best interest that you like us and want to race with us.

Even our competitive side (and we have one, oh yes) will help you onto the grid and make sure you feel welcome to come back. It's a club, first. Then, well, we have this racing problem, I'm ashamed to admit... It's a burden you can bear alongside us :)
ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx
ASMA Racer

Postby R-silaxin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 am

Sounds good to me! Looking forward to this weekend! Did a ton of work on the bike tonight... Wrapping it up tomorrow and I'm all set for this weekend!

See you guys out there!
R-silaxin
Pit Crew

Return to ASMA Championship Series