Round 2 coming quick!

For everything related to the ASMA Championship Series.

Re: Round 2 coming quick!

Postby Lucky13 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 pm

chefboyartie wrote:Spank the old guys? Now you're gushing yourself.

Me first!
4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul.
Lucky13
Flaming Junk Inspector

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm

The Hawk is running.
Yesterday was spent at Speedcell where Josh and Pip welded the fractured underside of the fuel tank. Since it's been rusty and Kreem'd, whenever they got it hot using the tig and brazing rod, it contaminated the metal and the stress cracks kept growing. After several attempts silver solder was used to finish it up. It holds gas now.
Then down to Santa Theresa Motorsports to pick up a new air filter for the GSXR, a starter switch and new pull rope for the 4wheeler, and a rear brake caliper rebuild kit for the Ascot. Got horrible news while there too, Cory Odom is moving. For those who don't know Cory, he used to race with us years ago and then did a few seasons mounting the tires in the pits. He's an awesome dude and he will be missed in this area. Best parts guy ever.

Today was another long day.
Got the new fuel line and T hooked up.
Put on the left rearset.
Put gas in and hooked up a battery for a test run. Amazing, it started right up and I took it out for a lap to see where the jetting was. Honestly, jets are pretty close, maybe one step smaller pilot and they need a little synch job, but the problem is the clutch would not hold with the extra power. It has a fairly new clutch, but the heavy duty springs didn't get here in time when I bought it so they didn't get installed.

So, lay the bike way over and remove the clutch cover, pull the plates out to check them and they looked really good. But, the jutter spring was backwards so I fixed that and installed the new springs. I figured since the thing had been leaking fuel and ruined the paint on the side covers I would do a quick paint job on the clutch side since it was off. Unfortunately, I forgot to secure the clutch acutator pin and lost it in the gravel in my driveway while either cleaning or sanding. So, two hours later with the help of the wife..we find the pin and I get it back together and head out for a test ride again.

While it's not OMG faster, and I'm used to 100hp more on the other bike, I think it feels about 5-10hp faster than it was. Definitely was able to get another gear on the back straight and if I get on the throttle hard in 2nd gear it hits the rev limiter fairly quick. It wouldn't even pull hard enough to get to the rev limiter before. So, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the SV's now.

Maybe by next month I will have time to get it all cleaned up and repainted.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby sweetr6 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm

11's on the Hawk coming soon?
sweetr6
Crew Chief

Postby Roger@Arroyo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm

That's the goal, but I think it's going to need some suspension work and maybe the race ECU first. If I do get the race ECU, it will probably only be used once or twice because it severely shortens crank life. The last Hawk I had made it 8 weekends before the crank split and I'm not looking for a repeat. Not sure if it's the power or the RPM being raised by over 1000 that kills the cranks.
MO is my bitch
Roger@Arroyo
Site Admin

Postby chefboyartie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 pm

I didn't see anything in there about a fork seal change on a gsxr 1k!
chefboyartie
STFU, Art!

Postby Super Mario » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:26 am

I had a fun weekend hanging out with friends and family. There was some great racing and also some big mistakes made.. Congrats to David Hurtado on some great racing and his flying lap of a 1:08.6.. Awesome job bro. Sorry to Mickey Rupe and Tabor Rossi for my big mistake in turn one of Unlimited Superbike Race.. I'm just glad everyone is ok.. Can't wait to get back out there again and see everyone. I promise I won't make that mistake again.. See y'all soon..
ASMA # 34
Super Mario
Racer

Postby findgold » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Super Mario wrote:I had a fun weekend hanging out with friends and family. There was some great racing and also some big mistakes made.. Congrats to David Hurtado on some great racing and his flying lap of a 1:08.6.. Awesome job bro. Sorry to Mickey Rupe and Tabor Rossi for my big mistake in turn one of Unlimited Superbike Race.. I'm just glad everyone is ok.. Can't wait to get back out there again and see everyone. I promise I won't make that mistake again.. See y'all soon..

Glad you didn't get hurt. And again I am going to thank you for screwing up and giving me a chance to kinda get the hole shot and lead the first lap of the race. :mrgreen:
And like Roger said. We made ASMA history in A 250 Ninjette leading a lap in Unlimited Superbike. :alien:
And watch out for us old guys We know a lot of dirty tricks to put ya into the weeds. :alien:
Dirt is for worms - Asphalt is for Racing
And almost anyone can go fast with too MUCH Horsepower!
findgold
Racer

Postby Lucky13 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Just thought I'd post the Formula 40 video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp_bpeow ... e=youtu.be
4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul.
Lucky13
Flaming Junk Inspector

Postby ZF67 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:05 am

^ nice video Gregtard! *** The April Edition of 'Inside the Helmet' is underway, just waiting for this months star to finish filling it out so i can write about them! Stay tuned to find out who this months racer is!!!***
ZACK FOULK My Cheetah is dangerously cheeeesy
ZF67
Rainbow Warrior

Postby dbrucemx8 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:32 am

When in doubt, GAS IT!!! #70
dbrucemx8
Wheel Changer

Previous

Return to ASMA Championship Series