WERA Miller.

The place to discuss non ASMA racing

WERA Miller.

Postby kz2zx » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 am

0600: I wake up, look out the window. Wet, but not currently raining, lots of fog on the mountains. Shower, shave, eat, clean the room and get in the truck, 54'F. Worried it'll rain more, sky is leaden and with low scudding clouds, layers to 10,000'. Out over the alkalai flats, driving to the track, can see huge bands of rain over the flats and over the Great Salt Lake.

0700: Fuel in one jug from the trackside pumps, it's raining a steady soaking rain. Garages are empty of about half the kart guys, must have left last night. More bikes in the garages, though, and the kart assholes have used my garage space, pushing my shit into a corner of my garage. They're not here for me to get in their face, and that may have saved me from arrest...

0800: Checking the weather channel satellite picture every five minutes, and it's not updating. Figuring the last part of the rain should move away by the end of the first round of practice. I decide I'll skip the first round - too wet for DOTs and I can't get rains or into the line for tire changes (wheels have DOTs and slicks on 'em). Desperately hoping I got this right - everyone around me is in a frenzy to get rains on and get out on the track. 600cc experts first, Javelin Broderick goes out on full rains on his R6.

0850: Rain's stopped, I will change into leathers and my new Sidi (solid, non-perfed) boots in 10 min, and wait for the second practice session (first 750cc-up Ex is going out in 10 min).

0900: Committed to skipping first practice. Hasn't rained in a bit, skies definitely brightening to the west. Parkinglot's still wet (not damp, wet). Going to look at the track in a moment...

1000: rain again, though there is sun to the west. Skipping second practice.

1200: rain still, missing race 1 and probably race 2. Next race I'm in is race 8, and figure that should be 1:45. At 1:30 I will make the call: change Brian's wheels back to his slicks (taking my DOTs off), and start packing, or stay and race.

1300: rain stopped, sun to the west. Got in my leathers - but ground is still wet. Reports of rivers of mud on the track... fingers crossed. They've just called 3rd call for race 5&4 combined, I'm in race 8.

1340: A red flag restarted race six, so more time for the track to dry. Tirewarmers on, pressures set. They announced the track crew will go sweep the track of mud in between this race and next. Keeping fingers crossed...

1400: Race 8 in the books, I avoided DFL, 2:09's on a wet-to-nearly dry track. Need to do better next race, will leave the DOTs on.

Whatever time, I raced race 14, did better laptime-wise, but ate up a DOT in the drying track (need to soften rebound bigtime in the wet, I guess), cold-tear to the max. MyLaps shows it all, I guess...
barely into the 2:04. Wish I had some setup time Sunday, or some practice, but that's racing.

Expensive weekend. The Check Engine light is on on my truck, this is very likely the EGR cooler again, which, if so, will end my racing season as it'll be about $1000 in parts, if I do the labor, $2000 in labor if not.

I am now in Vegas and about to get fucking hammered. And, I guess I'll eat some food.
ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx
ASMA Racer

Re: WERA Miller.

Postby blendedfamily » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 am

Well, racing or not, being drunk in Vegas is always a good thing.
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby kz2zx » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Update:

The CEL is the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module), and it's a known-weak part on the 6.0's (one of many...).

IT should be about $300 to fix (Bullet-Proof Diesel is local to me, they're pretty much THE guys to replacing Ford OE stuff with better design). If they can't fix it, they'll replace it (I hope with their new design) for $500.

My race season hasn't ended early (whew).
ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx
ASMA Racer

Postby blendedfamily » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:39 pm

thats good to hear..... who else would help me pick my gas tank lock...
blendedfamily
Troy McClure

Postby kz2zx » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:25 pm

FICM + Degas bottle (coolant catch tank, sort-of) hose, $406. Whew.
ASMA 47
WERA 147
kz2zx
ASMA Racer

Return to Other Roadracing Series